Yorkshire & The Humber Libertas candidates

These are your Libertas candidates for the Yorkshire and The Humber region:

Friday 22 May 2009

Diana Macleod

Hello, my name is Diana Macleod and I’m the Libertas candidate for the constituency of Yorkshire and The Humber in the European elections on June 6th later this year. I thought I should tell you a bit about myself to help you make an informed decision in the ballot box.

I’m fighting in this election because I believe in Democracy. We are at a crossroads in the future of Europe. On one side, a large unyielding money grabbing machine, where unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats dictate and agree laws behind closed doors: on the other side, a future of freedom within the European community to enable money saving, stoppage of waste and to hold Brussels to account. Which would you choose? I know which side of the divide I stand: firmly on the side of right thinking which allows all people to have their say. A new Treaty/Constitution, which is easily understood, in clear concise form should be put before all the people in all member states, to allow every voter a say in their future.

I was lucky enough to be born into a free society: in a free Britain. The same is not true today. My Father, Iain Macleod, died as Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1970.My Mother was in the House of Lords as a life Peeress until her death nine years ago. These facts make me very aware of the difference between then and now.

I was a journalist before I married in 1968.We have three sons and have lived in Buckinghamshire for 38 years; I have run an arable and livestock farm. I ran a retail business, and started and ran a nursery school for 25 years. I have been a Local District Councillor.

I have been, and still am involved in local and National charities. My special interests are health, main-stream and special needs education, and support of the disabled or elderly. The support of all people who are suffering with the pressures of the recession, are of paramount importance. I am committed to the countryside, and to people who enable us all to enjoy the surroundings and rear and grow our food.

I am standing in Yorkshire and the Humber, instead of the South East, because my roots are in the North.

I am concerned about the attitudes and promises of all major parties on the subject of our relationship with the European Union; especially regarding a referendum within the European community.Libertas has the right priorities: they are the same as mine. The economy is in an unprecedented mess, Libertas and I will ensure that EVERY penny spent by Europe demonstrates value-for-money, in order that we can safeguard our financial future, and that of future generations.

I believe that Democracy is one of the values that unite ALL Europeans. Libertas will make the EU truly open and accountable like never before. We want to publicise the way decisions are made and who makes them, so that we can make Europe work for us.

Because Europe has been run in secrecy by élites and bureaucrats that are simply unknown to most people, I want to be part of a grassroots movement that gives Europe back to its people.

That is why I ask you to vote for me and the new, pan-European party Libertas on June 4th

THANK YOU,

DIANA MACLEOD

No comments:

Post a Comment